Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Life's Language

Yesterday I went to a seminar titled "The Language of Aging" presented by the wonderful Gary Powell...but from what I brought out of it a more apt title would have been "The Language of Life". The main lessons of the seminar were to become aware of how we are communicating with elders and helping us to change those conversations into a more interactive experience.

By speaking with them instead of to them, by involving them instead of directing, by coaching instead of controlling we can begin to communicate more effectively. This approach also allows us to dive deeper into our reality and the realities of those around us, making for a more fulfilling dialogue and experience. Powell stated that the language of aging is a slower language, its not about doing. Its a language of reflection.

By utilizing reflective communication skills in all life's interactions I can be more present, talking in the now as opposed to talking now and being in the future. Benefiting my relationships regardless of age; from the youngest babe to the oldest elder.

 For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill? Seek him always with 
hours to live. For it is his to fill your need, but not your emptiness. And in the sweetness of 
friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the 
heart finds its morning and is refreshed." - Kahlil Gibran

1 comment:

  1. I love this, Corrie! I think that this applies to my relationship with my child as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete