Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Trivial Pursuits

How does one pursue happiness? Is it like exploring an underwater world? An adventure deep into the jungle? Or a stroll through the woods? And while I'm asking questions..what IS happiness? Are there different kinds of happiness?
All good questions, and for everybody the answers are different.


Lately life has seemed hectic. Trying to juggle multiple responsibilities at work, taking on a teaching position in the fall, and being a (hopefully) good wife and new mommy got me stretched a little too thin...


Then I took a step back, and thought "Wait! Hold the phone... I'm taking on these responsibilities as a means of reaching goals in my 'pursuit of happiness'. So what's wrong with this picture...why in my pursuit am I finding myself more disjointed and overwhelmed..shouldn't I be getting happier?"


POW, KaBLAM, BOOM it hit me! That's just it...I was battling my way up multiple pursuits, when I just needed to figure out one thing... I'M HAPPY! I'm happy trying to balance responsibilities while trying a hand at teaching and being there for my family. I'm stressed, yes...overwhelmed, yes...but happy.These are things I want in life, and at the end of the day when I see all I do, I'm happy. I'm making a difference.


My path to find happiness is always going to be changing...and when I loose sight of my purpose a friendly reminder on 'Why' is just what I need. Life is perfect and I'm happy, so the adage "Don't Worry, Be Happy" really rings true (for me at least...) 

1 comment:

  1. I'll share this quote with you
    "As I go through all kinds of feelings and experiences in my journey through life -- delight, surprise, chagrin, dismay -- I hold this question as a guiding light: "What do I really need right now to be happy?" What I come to over and over again is that only qualities as vast and deep as love, connection and kindness will really make me happy in any sort of enduring way.

    - Sharon Salzberg (She is a New York Times Best selling author[1] & teacher of meditation practices.

    ReplyDelete