Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mental Metamorphosis

So, I had been feeling a little down and out the past few weeks...something wasn't quite right. After careful consideration I decided I needed an attitude adjustment. I decided to do this by "Taking time to stop and smell the Roses" so to speak. So much of my time lately has been task oriented...I had stopped making time to recognize the world's beauty around me.

Which leads me to my 1 Week Challenge! For 7 days at least once a day I will set aside time to have quiet  moments to notice and meditate on the beauty around me, as a way to check my attitude and boost mental and spiritual health. While just allowing me time to calm, and collect thoughts before zipping off to the next item on my ever growing 'to do' list. (Hopefully causing a more relaxed and lovable me continuously...)


So Here We Go! 


Day One: CLOUDS
I couldn't catch a picture that did the clouds justice. They were that type that seemed to be constantly moving and morphing, the big fluffy type. The kind that, as a kid, you can look at for hours finding different pictures and contemplating life. It was an excellent reminder in patience(and of course a lesson in enjoying the little things in life, because life 'aint' so serious after all.)


Day Two: CHRISTMAS YEAR-ROUND
While driving around town I saw a sparkle off the corner of my eye. That sparkle came from the sunshine hitting these ornaments hanging from vines on the banyan tree. What a perfect reminder to 'maintain' that Christmas spirit of giving, and compassion to ALL, throughout the year, and your whole life through.
"Need knows no season." - Salvation Army
Neither does love, compassion, or kindness. Not just to those "in need" but to every single person you interact with throughout the day.


Day Three: THE WEATHER
As a child you tend to love the weather no matter the weather. Right?!? It's pouring rain, you grab your rain boots to splash in puddles. Freezing outside? No problem! There's snow, lets go sledding. Record heat, what heat? No matter when you runnin' through the sprinklers!
Beautiful Sunrise 

Well, it seemed I had the eyes of a child, because the sun came up that morning, and brought me peace. The rain came, it smelled sooo good, and brought me joy. It was a wonderful reminder to take life as it comes, don't grumble about things you can't change, and enjoy this ride we call life... (A new life goal = remember to live with eyes like a child, with an open mind to learning , and a heart full of compassion. These combined allow myself to grow and feel like I will make a difference in this world, no matter how small, before I am chosen to leave it)


Day Four: A BRICK WALL
No, quite literally..a brick wall. I was driving around the island noticing all the different types of brick walls along the way (This is what you do when stuck in Hawaii traffic. At least I had fun!) It made me think of Pink Floyd's lyric "All we are is just another brick in the wall". The it hit me...like a ton of bricks...(pun intended..). I realized that we all could be different bricks in the walls around us. Our circles of friends, family, the community at large are different walls and together they build houses, civilizations even. Everybody is part of something, we just gotta find our right walls.

Day Five: MY LIL' MAN 






Yes, I realize this may be cliche...but I don't care. He lights up my life and I would do anything for him.
I mean really, can anyone tell me what's not to love about this face?!? I can come home from the busiest day at work ever, just pooped and I get one little smile out of my lil' man and BAM! I almost wet myself with happiness. I am one of the luckiest girls alive because of my hubby and my babe.






Day Six:   FLOWERS IN THE ROUGH
I was driving on the good ol' H1, stuck in traffic...and noticed really pretty flowers that were growing over the top of the wall on the side of the freeway. It was just so odd to see such a beautiful, vibrant plant with bright yellow flowers on the side of a grungy, dirty freeway. It was a good reminder that good things are always around, its just that sometimes they are hanging off to the side, waiting to be noticed.

Day Seven: THE LITTLE THINGS
As I reflected on the day, sitting on the beach..watching the sun set..I wondered what would my "last" world wonder would be for this post. I couldn't remember any one thing that stood out as a reminder of the "beauty the world has to offer". Then it came to me. I realized it was the moments that made the day so beautiful. One of my favorite quotes is "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away". If that is the case, and I believe it is, then why spend my moments flustered and anxious. Find the moments that take your breath away, each and every day..enjoy living not just life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment